Saturday, June 23, 2007

Midnight Rescue!


Ok, before I post my Gunks trip, I had a little outing tonight I thought I should share.
So my brother calls me from a scout camp that he's attending about 30 minutes away and he tells me that he and some fellow scouts decided to rig this crazy incendiary device on a string that would slide down from a tree and ignite the campfire to start this crazy ceremony they were having. In the process, one of the older scouts (20 or so) decides to put on a harness and shimmy up a tree to string up the line. He gets about 20 feet up and freezes, unable to move up or down. He fortunately slings himself to the tree (poorly) and tells my bro the problem. They keep it on the down low until everyone leaves and then he calls me up.
So I have to drive out there in the middle of the night because no-one has anything they can rescue him with. Most un-resourceful scout troop ever. I end up soloing up the tree in my ice gear to rescue the kid, and all ended well. I also got to try out my new axes (hooooooot) and now can't wait for ice season.
Cheers,
Matthew.

2 comments:

Stef said...

Dumbass! (the kid, not you Matt). It was nice of you to go out there at that hour. What kind of axes did you get?

Matt Peck said...

Yeah, it was pretty hilarious. The kid is trying to become a guide for some tourisim outfit around here too. Works at the Rad Edge, was slung in with a lanyard that was attached at one end to a loop of webbing he had over his shoulder, and the other end attached to his harness. Sketchy. He must have been up there for about four hours. He was suitably mortified and greatful, but I still had to give him a good speech about getting in over his head. The leadership out there was totally unconcerned. It was pretty shocking.
Got the Nomics for a song down at Rock and Snow. Those tools are Cherry! Hope to see you soon buddy.